Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Santa and Holly


Hello everyone. I hope everyone has had a good weekend. We have another really great sketch for you this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches, and I continue with my vintage Santa theme for Christmas. Here is the fun sketch:



When I first saw this sketch, I was a bit leery and wasn't sure how it was all going to come together. However, once I got started, it all fell into place, and I was really pleased with the end results.

Once again, I have used a vintage Santa clip art. I cut the image into a tag shape. I started with a brown card base to keep the vintage feel, and I layered a piece of red and gold DP that I've had in my stash for a number of years. In fact, I only have about 3-4 pieces of the original 12x12" pad left and had even considered putting it into the purge pile for my teacher friends. As it turned out, glad it hadn't yet quite made the cut because it was the perfect paper to go with my clip art.

Picking up the green in the holly on St. Nick's hood, I cut a strip of green and then a smaller strip of gold for the top. I adhered the clip art tag shape and then created a triple bow with the red, green and gold ribbon. I cut three holly leaves and three berries off of a Christmas pick and tucked it behind the bow which duplicates the holly on the hood.

It was that easy to create a beautiful and wonderful card with this sketch. I think I was done in less than 30 minutes. Considering how many Christmas cards I have left to make, quick but pretty is a definite plus!

I have been searching my computer and my files for pictures of some of the ornaments that I painted. I have shared them before and thought I would find them in some of my older blogs, but no luck. I finally found a few pictures, but not all of the ones I wanted to share. I was looking for the ones that match or are similar to the three clip art pictures I've already used this year. Anyway, even though I wasn't fully successful in my search, here are a couple of my painted pieces:



 Now, back to this week's sketch. You are definitely going to want to visit the Tuesday Morning Sketches blog and see what the other DT have done. So many wonderful examples! You can also click on each DT's name and go directly to their blogs where you should find additional information as to how they created their lovely card. While there, leave them a little love and feedback.

5 comments:

  1. I love how well you do vintage with clipart images! Your card is just beautiful and so festive with the holly and berry embellishments behind the pretty bow! And oh my gosh, you are SOoo talented to paint such beautiful ornaments! They're so lifelike and I'm sure they look awesome on your tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think you have made a pretty difficult sketch work really well! Your painted decorations are fabulous!

    Annabel - Knitty Kitty Digis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another pretty vintage card!! It's wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are rocking these vintage images! You're going to be totally ready for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on those ornaments! Love the bow/holly you added to your card too.

    ReplyDelete